Tuesday 18 August 2015

What I've Been Reading Lately

 
Hi Guys!
(Apologies in advance for the crappy polaroid that I exposed to the sunlight way too early)
So, I'm out of my reading slump and back into the swing of things. I never really talk about it on my blog, since I tend to focus more on fashion and lifestyle, but literature is one of my great loves, whether its classics like 'To Kill a Mockingbird', or YA fiction like 'The Hunger Games' - which actually, I'm not that big a fan of. I thought I'd write a post about what I've been reading lately, and whether I would recommend them to you or not. These are all cutesy reads that are great for summer!

Isla and the Happily Ever After - Stephanie Perkins, 9/10.
This was a Re-read, since this series is one of my favourites of all time. This is the third and last book in the series, each one following a different set of characters who are all linked to each other. Isla and Josh fall in love all over the show, taking place in Paris, New York, and Barcelona. I think the reason I love this series so much is that the characters go to boarding school in Paris, which is just the dream scenario. Josh is the mysterious, brooding artist, whereas Isla is top of the class, and has crushed on Josh FOREVER. I first read this the night it came out, and stayed up until 5am to finish it - recommend.

I'll Give You the Sun - Jandy Nelson, 8/10
About four years ago I read a book by this author called 'The Sky is Everywhere' and completely devoured it. It was the kind of writing that forced you to hold the book in your hands until you'd finished every last page. When she released a new book this summer I knew I had to have it, and it did not disappoint. Jude and Noah are twins, inseparable since birth, but a tragic accident drives them apart and forces them to become different people, not only separate from each other, but also separate from their true selves. I thought this book was brilliantly written, and covered difficult topics that some authors prefer to leave out. My only criticism is that sometimes with dual perspectives you find yourself enjoying one person's perspective much more than the other - but still, without a doubt, recommend.

Second Chance Summer - Morgan Matson, 8/10
This book took me by surprise, as I assumed that it would be a light, summery read. In actual fact, the reason Taylor and her family are taking one last trip to the summer vacation house, is that her Dad has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer and is not going to live past three months. I was left sitting in my holiday apartment in FLOODS of tears after reading this, and just could not put it down. The romance involved was cute, but for me it was the family aspect to this book that kept me thinking about it way after I read the last chapter. If you want a book to put things in perspective, this is the one. Recommend, but be warned about upsetting content.

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West, 4/10
Can't really say I enjoyed this all too much. Its a cliché romance with a rich boy and a poor girl, and it just didn't click with me. I like plot twists and originality, which this book I thought really lacked in. There isn't much to write about this one, I just summed it up in the first sentence of this paragraph, and you know that if you can sum up a book in one sentence it can't be too content heavy. However, if what you're searching for is a mindless beach read, then this might appeal to you. Wouldn't recommend

The Geography of You and Me - Jennifer E Smith, 7/10
Okay, so this story also takes place all over the world, and follows two teenagers who fall in love one chaos stricken night in New York City, and then are flung here there and everywhere to get on with their lives without each other. Paris, London, New York, Edinburgh, and that's only to name a few! Lucy and Owen's story was so darn cute, and even though I probably wouldn't reread this, I'm glad I read it the first time because Jennifer is a great writer who I have enjoyed time and time again. Obviously, this plays on the theory that people can fall in love in no time at all, which I don't believe, but the story is good all the same - recommend.

What have you been reading lately that you would recommend?
Stay Beautiful!
Emily xoxo

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© A Small Distraction. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig