Sunday 27 March 2016

Blogging, Confidence, and Where to Find it

 

Hoppy Easter! (Puns galore, I'm here all night folks.)

This was such a spontaneous post, but I do think confidence is something that we need to talk about more often. The blogging world can be kicked down for its photoshopped images and the unrealistic instagram themes, but for me, I feel like it's helped me leaps and bounds. When I took this photo two days ago I was still rejoicing in the fact that I, the girl who has pretty much hid behind a mask of make up since the age of fourteen, had gone to college this week sans foundation. For some people that's nothing, but to me that's a big step - so I grabbed my camera, didn't bother to put any sort of make up on, and voila! My first no make up photo featured on my blog, and a confidence post to go with it. Because three years ago, the thought of a no make up day would have seemed like the worst idea in the world.

When I first started blogging, I was sixteen (I mean, that was only a year and a half ago but lets go with it), and I desperately lacked confidence. Once upon a time I was seriously anxious and my confidence was basically on the floor; nowadays I would say it's much more balanced, and even though my confidence can take a hit now and again, its generally a lot better than it used to be. This isn't going to be an essay style post in response to the criticism that social media has taken; I understand that media is a homewrecker if you let it be. I think, especially when you're young like me, becoming part of a blogger community, is - even though it can be a struggle in parts - the most healing process you can find for confidence. Here we are, a group of completely varied ages, and I think as you get older (and away from the cattiness of High School and College), no one cares if you aren't the skinniest Minnie on the block, and no one gives a crap about the under eye bags you have from last night. In general, bloggers are so much more accepting and non-judgemental than the peers you have when you are young, so as a result I think instead of social media tearing young girls down, it has the opportunity to build them up.

I'm ridiculously glad that I'm a blogger for many reasons than just this one - but I guess I just wanted to write a little thank you post to every other blogger that's left a comment, read a post, or replied to me on a twitter chat. Feeling included in a mature and accepting community has done wonders for my confidence, and I think it will continue to do so for quite some time. We're all beautiful, no matter what size we are, or any 'flaws' we feel like we have to hide. Thankyou for helping me to realise this - you really are a bunch of gems.

(P.S. I'm not saying goodbye to face make-up, I think its wonderful! But recognising that I don't need to wear it, is going to make getting ready a lot more fun.)

SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Lovely post! Such a great confidence booster on Easter day! Btw, you look absolutely gorgeous without makeup, I love it. :)

    www.ashrealasitgets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for commenting, I hope you had a lovely Easter! You are too kind!
      Em xo

      Delete
  2. This is such a lovely post, confidence is such an important thing!
    Paula | www.namelessgap.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! We need to encourage everyone to feel confident in their own skin :)
      Em xo

      Delete
  3. Lovely post that I really enjoyed reading! I only just started blogging myself and I'm nearly 19 so i don't think theres a 'right' or 'wrong' time to start blogging but I do think that it does help with confidence because putting yourself out there is always a hard thing to do :)

    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thankyou Kathy! Definitely agree - I also think its nice to have something separate from school work and everyday life!
      Em xo

      Delete
  4. This is a great post. I'm glad you're feeling more confident.

    You're right - as you grow up people do care less about your imperfections than they did in school and I've become much more confident since I left. I'm really not bothered what people think of me now and that comes with time.

    Kayleigh
    http://hazelnutmusings.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kayleigh :) I think school is a lot of pressure on everyone, it really makes confidence a struggle!
      Em xo

      Delete

© A Small Distraction. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig