Monday 2 March 2015

What is the Definition of Beauty?


Okay. This post has been swirling around in my brain for quite some time now. There's something about my posts, and about the blogging world, that just doesn't sit right with me. I don't think we can really blame the issue on anyone, it was probably just an unfortunate choice of words that stuck with us, but I still don't feel that I can carry on blogging without writing this post, otherwise the guilt would eventually drag me under.

The worry first came to me when I wrote a post a few months back (I'm not sure if it's still there, it may have suffered the cut) about my 'beauty favourites', which basically consisted of a load of make up items. Lying in bed that same night, it kind of hit me how false it is to label these kind of posts 'beauty' posts. Even though only a small number of people read the words I write, I would hate for anyone to come across these posts and consider a concealer stick and a mascara the key to achieving beauty. Do you see what I'm getting at here? I believe our posts are putting across an opinion that none of us intend them to - beauty is being materialised, and is evolving into a definition that doesn't even begin to cover its true meaning.

For me, I find that make up makes me feel beautiful, because it makes me feel confident. But it isn't the make up that provides the beauty, its the confidence that was already within me. I think that beauty is something that you can view on the outside, but also something that you can feel on the inside. It's a heck of a lot more than a bronzer. When I see a girl, makeup on OR off, its her smile, or the way her eyes light up, or the way she holds herself that is beautiful. Its the witty remarks she offers, or the books she reads or the way her mind folds itself into paths of intelligence and humour and grace.

This has turned into such a ramble, but the bottom line is that I don't want any of my readers to believe that if they don't wear makeup, that they can't be beautiful. THIS IS SO NOT TRUE. Society has sentenced beauty to be something that we can wear, and that we can buy, and touch - when beauty is something that we simply are.

Do you feel the same way, or am I just going mad?
Emily xoxo
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© A Small Distraction. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig