Tuesday 12 May 2015

Some Reading Recommendations

I have finally (thank God) gotten out of my reading slump that has lasted about three months. Even though I'm revising pretty much all of the time, I still steal a few seconds when I can to wander off and read a few pages. It occurred to me that I never post anything about books, so I thought I'd recommend a few of my favourites so that a) you might be inspired to pick one up and b) you can see a little bit into what genres I love.

 
#1 To All The Boys I've Loved Before (Jenny Han).
I am a huge Han fan. Her books are just easy breezy, super cute summer reads that leave you feeling ridiculously happy. This one in particular is a favourite, and if you like any of Sarah Dessen's books, then I'm sure you'd love this. Lara Jean, a teenager living in America, writes a letter to all the boys she has ever loved - and hides them in a box under her bed never to be read by anyone else. It's a good form of therapy right? Write anything you want, as brutal or as heartfelt, get every emotion out...and then don't send it. One morning however, all the letters accidentally get sent out to their intended recipients - and all hell breaks loose.
 
#2 The Selection (Kiera Cass)
THIS SERIES THOUGH. This is my go to series to cheer me up, and it definitely is one of my all time favourites. If you like the show The Bachelor, then I think this would be right up your alley. Set in the future where people are divided into 'castes' (a sort of hierarchy based on wealth and social standing) the Prince has come of age to find his Princess. All girls in a certain age bracket are entered into a draw to be in with a chance of competing, and America, a fiery redhead who wants anything but the life of a Princess, is drawn. Her story reeled me in completely (especially the scenes with Prince Maxon, swoooon) and I devoured the series in just two days.
 
#3 Why We Broke Up (Daniel Handler)
I picked this one as a recommendation because its a good book for people who aren't avid readers. Basically, this book is a picture book. There are lots of words, and if you don't like to read anything at all then you probably still wouldn't like this (then again, if you hate reading then why are you looking at recommendations?) but the element of the illustrations makes it a little less repetitive. I think the title sums this one up pretty well, a girl telling her ex all the little reasons why they didn't work out. It's interesting, to say the least.
 
#4 Shatter Me (Taherah Mafi)
I could talk for hours about this glorious series. There are divided opinions on this book throughout the reading community, with many finding the protagonist annoying (I think her actions are justified given her predicament, but you'll have to read it to see what I mean). Set in a dystopian world where everything is falling to pieces, Juliette is trapped in a prison cell, and she has been for months. Her crime? Murder. The only issue is, she never meant to kill anybody - her touch is lethal, and no ones knows why (enter dramatic pause here). Plus, there are TWO hot guys in this one, can I say more?
 
So there you go! Have you read any of these, and if so, what did you think?
Happy reading!
Emily xoxo

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© A Small Distraction. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig